that Joe and I traveled to Roosevelt, we stopped to photograph several other small towns. Our first stop was Tuttle, where I saw this granary next to the railroad tracks. I also took a shot of it with a Leica IIIf, but forgot to pull out the collapsible lens, so it’s probably no good. We’ll see when I develop the film.
Next was Cordell, officially called New Cordell since it moved from its original location in 1897. In 1906 it was declared the Washita county seat by an act of the U.S. Congress.
After a fire burnt down the original county courthouse, Solomon Andrew Layton designed its beautiful replacement. He also designed the Oklahoma state capitol building. The courthouse sits on a historic town square. Also on the square is the Washita Theatre, an Art Deco movie palace recently restored to its former splendor.
After Cordell and Roosevelt, we started back home. Along the way we saw an abandonded service station — at least, that’s what we think it isJoe and I later made a second trip to the cobblestone building. After we had taken more pictures of it we knocked on the door of the nearest farmhouse to inquire about it. The old-timer who answered the door informed us that the building used to be a general store; he then gave us an extended oral history of the surrounding countryside. I reckon he spoke for a half hour or more before we thanked him and took our leave. — made from red granite cobbblestone brought from Medicine Park, some thirty miles away.
Our final stop was just outside Anadarko at the Wichita Historical Center, which is currently at the center of a four-tribe land dispute.
- Rolleiflex 2.8c
- Hasselblad 500C
- Schneider Xenotar 50mm ƒ/2.8
- Carl Zeiss Distagon 50mm ƒ/4.0
- Exposure Index
- EI 125 on both cameras & films
- Kodak Plus-X Pan 125 & Kodak Tri-X Pan 400 — stand development with daylight tank in Agfa Adonal (Rodinal) (1:100) for ~60 minutes — 5 minutes in Kodafix
- Ries J-600 “Reporter” maplewood tripod with luster bronze knobs
- Digitization & post-production
- Epson perfection V850 scanner with VueScan scanning software, Adobe Lightroom, NIK Silver Efex Pro, and Adobe Photoshop.